Born on 27 February 1986, Sandeep Singh is a former Indian hockey player. He is popularly known as Flicker Singh. Right from childhood, Sandeep decided to become a hockey player. His brother, father, and everyone in his family is closely associated with the game. His elder brother and Sandeep’s mentor Bikramjeet Singh plays for Indian oil.
After leaving Hockey, he joined politics. Sandeep joined the Bhartiya Janta Party in 2019 and also defeated congress candidate Mandeep Singh Chatta. Read about his professional life, wiki below.
Early Life and Career
Sandeep Singh hails from a town in Haryana. He did his schooling from Shivalik Public School Mohali. Sandeep learned hockey from his elder brother, who is also a hockey player. His international journey began in 2004 when he joined the team in Kuala Lumpur. Under his captaincy, India won several tournaments. He made India win in the finals at Ipoh. This was India’s win after 13 years. Furthermore, he became the top scorer of the tournament.
Then the Indian hockey team qualified for Olympics in London after 8 years. The team defeated France in the finals and Sandeep Singh scored five goals against France. Sandeep Singh then became the fifth-highest paid player at Hockey India League and was signed by the Mumbai Magicians for $64,600. He scored 11 goals in 12 games and again became the top scorer of the league. In 2014, he played for the Punjab Warriors. In 2016, he played for Ranchi Rays.
Shooting Incident and How He Boost Confidence to Play for India
It was in 2006 when Sandeep Singh was injured in an accidental gunshot in the Kalka Shatabdi Express Train. This accident paralyzed him and he was in the wheelchair for the next year. He was about to join his team for the World Cup in Africa two days later. Unfortunately, this accident left him paralyzed. He recovered from the injury and then also played in the India team in 2010.
He recently made headlines when the director Shaad Ali portrayed a film based on his life. The lead role in the film was played by Punjabi singer and actor Diljit Dosanjh. The film also starred Taapsee Panu and Angad Bedi in supporting roles. He is married to Harjinder Kaur. His wife is also a hockey player.
Sandeep Singh Wiki & Biography
- Name: Sandeep Singh Bhinder
- Nickname: Flicker Singh
- DOB:27 February 1986
- Birthplace: Shahabad, Haryana
- Hometown: Shahabad, Haryana
- Profession: ex-Hockey Player and Politician
- School: Shivalik Public School, Mohali
- Coach: Bikramjeet Singh (his elder brother)
- Playing Position: Fullback
- International Debut: In 2004, in Kuala Lumpur
- Mother: Daljit Kaur Bhinder
- Father: Gurucharan Singh Bhinder
- Marital Status: Married
- Wife: Harjinder Kaur
- Brother: Bikramjeet Singh
- Likes: Acting, Doing Workouts, Listening to Music
- Favorite Food: Salads and Pasta
- Favorite Hockey Player: Sohail Abbas and Dhanraj Pillay
- Favorite Actor: SRK
- Cars: Lexus, Mahindra Thar, Fortuner, and Nissan
- Bikes: Royal Enfield and Harley Davidson
- Records: He scored the most goals in 2012 that was needed to qualify for the London Olympics
- He scored the most goals in Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- Properties: He has a petrol pump on Delhi-Chandigarh Highway
- Achievements and Awards: He won the Player of the Tournament in 2009 Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- He won Arjuna Award in 2010
- He was ranked under the top 5 hockey players in the world by International Hockey Federation in 2011.
- Political Journey: He became a member of BJP in 2019.
- He contested for Haryana Assembly Elections in 2019
- He defeated Mandeep Singh Chatta of Congress by over 5000 votes
- Instagram: @SandeepSingh
- Twitter: @SandeepSingh