Smriti Mandhana whose complete name is Smriti Shriniwas Mandhana is an Indian woman cricketer who plays for the country in all the three formats and in T20I, she is also the vice-captain of the team. Smriti may be just in her early 20s but she has achieved a lot for her age.
Childhood & Personal Life
Smriti Mandhana was born in Mumbai and her parents are Shrinivas Mandhana (chemical distributer) and Smita Mandhana. Her family moved to Madhavnagar, Sangli, when she was just 2 years of age and her schooling got completed from Sangli only. Smriti hails from a family of cricketers as her father and brother Shravan, both played cricket at the district level for Sangli. Also read about, Varun Sood Wiki, Tanya Maniktala Wiki.
Her interest in cricket increased after she saw her brother playing in the Under-16 tournaments. The child prodigy was selected for Under-15 team of Maharashtra when she was just 9 and she represented the state in the Under-19 team when was just 11.
Today also Smriti’s family is actively involved in her cricketing activities as her brother helps her by bowling her in the nets, her mother takes care of not just her diet but her clothes and other needs while her father looks after her cricket program.
Smriti Mandhana has been trained by Anant Tambwekar and as far as her education is concerned, she got graduated in commerce from Chintaman College of Commerce which is in Sangli.
Smriti Mandhana’s popularity increased manifold in Oct 2013 after she scored 224 (150) in an ODI match against the Gujarat Under-19 team; she was the first Indian woman to score 200 or more in an ODI. In 2016, she made three half centuries in three matches of Women’s Challenger Trophy for India Red, she not only contributed in the team’s victory in the tournament but she was also the top scorer with 192 runs.
She made her International ODI debut in 2013 against Bangladesh while Test debut was made at Wormsley Park against England in 2014. Her T20 debut was also made in 2013 and against Bangladesh only.
Smriti Mandhana was quite instrumental in India’s wonderful performance in the 2017 Women Cricket World Cup in which India reached the finals but unfortunately lost to England. She has also captained the side in 2019 in three-match T20I series against England when Harmanpreet Kaur got injured and she became the youngest captain for India at that time.
Awards & Achievements
- Smriti Mandhana was awarded with Arjuna Award in 2018.
- In 2018, she was also awarded with Rachael Heyhoe-Flint Award for the Women Cricketer of the Year.
- In 2018, she was the ICC Women’s Cricketer of the year as well as the ICC Women’s ODI Player of the year.
- In 2019, Smriti Mandhana won the International Women Cricketer at CEAT International Cricket Awards.
- In February 2019, she scored the fastest fifty (24 balls) for the country in T20Is.
- She was signed for Women’s Big Bash League by Brisbane Heat in 2017 and only two Indian women cricketers have been signed till now, the other one being Harmanpreet Kaur.
Smriti Mandhana is unmarried and presently, there is no news of her dating anyone.
Smriti Mandhana Wiki & Biography
- Name: Smriti Mandhana
- Date of Birth: 18 July 1996
- Age: 23 years
- Height: 5 feet 4 inch
- Weight: 55 kg
- Birth Place: Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Nationality: Indian
- Religion: Hindu
- School: Information not available
- College: Chintaman College of Commerce, Sangli, Maharashtra
- Educational Qualification: B.Com
- Marital Status: Unmarried
- Father: Shrinivas Mandhana
- Mother: Smita Mandhana
- Brother: Shravan Mandhana
- Skin Color: Wheatish
- Home Town: Sangli, Maharashtra, India
- Hobbies: Listening to music, cooking and driving
- International Debut: Test Matches against England on 13 August 2014, ODI against Bangladesh on 10 April 2013 and T20I against Bangladesh on 5 April 2013
- Favourite Food: Bhel
- Favourite Actress: Alia Bhatt
- Favourite Actor: Hrithik Roshan
- Favourite Cricketer: Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli and Matthew Hayden
- Favourite Place: Information not available
- Salary: 50 lakhs yearly as she is in Grade A contracts, Rs. 40-50 lakhs per endorsement
- Net Worth: $1Million (approx.)
- Instagram: smriti_mandhana